Current students should already have a Genius account with their email as their username.
If you are having difficulty with an existing account, please call 763-550-7117, or email email@example.com.
If you do not have a Genius account, go to New Students.
FIRST, Review the listing of Online Courses offered
1. Note the course titles, segment options, cohort dates and prerequisites of the courses you are interested in taking.
2. Consult with your school counselor regarding graduation, credit and scheduling requirements at your school.
3. Your counselor, parent or NSO staff may add a request for you. Please consult with them as you proceed.
4. If you have any questions or difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 763-550-7117.
THEN, be ready to choose:
1. Term: this may not correspond to your school terms, but simply refers to the time of year you are expecting to begin
2. Course Name: to be chosen from a drop-down list
a. Note that there are courses available that may not be from NSO. You may still request these courses, but you will need to visit the Socrates or Infinity websites for further information. NSO will not be processing these requests.)
b. Only the name will be listed. You will choose credits and other features further on.
3. Segment of content you will need (see the definition of Segments)
a. The Segment is not related to the time, but to the amount of work or credit.
b. Even if you are on a trimester or block schedule, you may still need a semester segment (.5 credit–your counselor will be able to confirm).
c. If in doubt, choose Sem A, and send an email to email@example.com to request further review.
4. Enrollment type: Supplemental, Tuition or Independent Study
a. Review Funding Options here.
b. You will be asked to choose one: Supplemental (SU), Independent Study (IS), Tuition (TU) or Private/Home School (PH).
* SU: I am a public School student and this course work will substitute for a class period in my regular schedule
* IS: I meet the criteria for at-risk graduation incentives and will take the course in addition to a full schedule at School through independent Study (counselor must verify)
* TU: This course work is being taken in addition to a full load at School and I agree to pay the tuition
* PH: I am a private or home schooled student and will pay tuition for which I will be billed
c. This can be changed prior to acceptance, if necessary.
5. Start and End dates
a. Please see the explanation of Cohort Dates to determine which window applies to you.
b. You may enter your preference for specific start and end dates.
c. NSO reserves the right to recommend changes to start-end dates prior to final approval to accommodate reporting requirements.
6. Credits: These will be auto-entered based on the Segment chosen.
7. Reason: We are required by the state to collect the reason for enrolling.
8. Current grade level: Please use the grade you will be in when taking the course.
NOW, Go to the GENIUS student information system
1. Enter your username and password to log in to the system.
2. Current course requests are shown in the Course Requests box.
3. To add a request, click Request Courses on the left side menu.
4. On the Request Courses screen, click Request New Course to begin.
5. Select or enter the information as described above for the course.
6. Check the box that confirms you understand and agree to the Program Expectations.
7. Enter your intitials as a digital signature.
8. Click Save.
You now have a COURSE REQUEST ready!
1. Your new request will now appear in the list on this page, and also on the Dashboard under Course Requests.
2. An email will be sent to you, your counselor, parent/guardian and NSO notifying them that a request has been entered for them to review.
3. Your request can now be reviewed and verified by your counselor and guardian.
4. See Approval Process for next steps.